A Centered Place

August 6, 2010 by
Filed under Healing Systems, New Posts

Exploring Svaroopa® Yoga

The Dancing Shiva.

As a vacation treat, I visited two of my clients yesterday, Phil Milgrom and Nancy Nowak, who live in Warren, Massachusetts, a tiny village in the western part of that state.  Phil and Nancy are yoga instructors for Svaroopa® Yoga, which I had never experienced.  Their yoga center is called “The Centered Place” and this is a very appropriate name for it.  As soon as I walked inside, I felt more centered and grounded.

Since I love doing yoga and have been seeking to expand my yoga experience, I had signed up for a private session with Phil.  Even though I had already done some yoga that morning (my body really likes this practice), Phil and I spent 2 hours together in the studio.  He explained the principles of Svaroopa® and then showed me with gentle care how to do some very simple yet profound and precise postures.

Svaroopa® Yoga is unlike any yoga I have ever experienced.  It is based on the idea that, if gently asked, the muscles of the body will let go of tension and expand, creating more space within you.   All of the asanas seem to be variations on asking the body to relax and let go.  And my body responded.

Since I am very sensitive and can feel many things in my body that most other people can’t feel, I was able to notice very tiny shifts taking place.  I can sense areas where my body feels stuck.  As we did the asanas, I could feel those area begin to think about opening and, in some cases, actually start to open .

For me, this has been a completely new experience.  In only two days of practice of just a few postures, my body is already changing.  I can feel it releasing and shifting.  It seems to be growing larger in energy.  When we make space inside us, of course that space will be filled naturally.  And what we naturally fill ourselves with is Consciousness.

So Svaroopa® Yoga can be very helpful to anyone who wants to get rid of physical tension, feel healthier, make more space inside themselves for spiritual development, and just R-E-L-A-X and enjoy each day.

Learn more about Svaroopa Yoga at http://www.thecenteredplace.com
Learn more about Phil’s services at http://www.philmilgrom.com/

Bookmark and Share

Comments

11 Responses to “A Centered Place”
  1. Yoga Teacher says:

It sounds like quite an experience. If you don’t mind my asking, what makes this kind of yoga so different for you? Maybe, it’s something I should explore.

Dear Yoga Teacher,

Yes, I found Svaroopa Yoga to be a powerful addition to the yoga I’ve been practicing since the 1970’s. I’m not sure what to label it because it was just called Hatha Yoga at the time I started. It is a very slow, gentle system and I have felt aligned with it my whole life. The best book I have on it is now out of print, but I still work with the basic techniques. The book was called Yoga for Today, by Clara Spring and Madeleine Goss, published in 1959.

Svaroopa is newer and I’ve only had 1 class because the teacher I met lives 90 minutes away, 180 minutes drive round trip, which is not doable on any regular basis. There are 4 basic positions in Svaroopa that allow for full relaxation of the spinal column and all the connected muscles, tendons, and ligaments. There is also a very different “corpse” pose that fully rests the back in a position that allows for every part of the back to be “flat.” Svaroopa also uses props. I found that these 5 positions together with the Ujjayi Breath are significantly helpful to me, although I continue to do my older yoga because it calls to my body very strongly.

Blessings,

2. Doug Hagens says:

I wrote a poem about a year ago called “A Voice Most Soft” trying to capture a feeling. Today after listening to your meditation, I know what it means now! It should be called “Welcome Call to IAM”.

Doug

Dear Doug,

What a lovely, sweet, and peaceful poem. And how powerful that you included the Native American chant. Thank you for sharing this. I hope others check it out.

3. Doug Hagens says:

Hi Nedda,

Thinking some more about this . . .

I’m trying out 3 ways to create a firm connection with IAM.

1. That terrific mantra of yours.
    2. Commune with nature as much as possible and do the things I love.
    3. And lastly . . .

I make an effort to listen until all the crap clears.

It’s a conscious observing and loving state of mind (keeping value judgments next to zip) acknowledging that IAM will connect with me when distractions are minimal.

Comments?

Your Friend
    Doug

Hi, Doug,

First I want to clarify that the mantra isn’t “mine.” It is an ancient Sanskrit mantra used for thousands of years in India by thousands and hundreds of thousands and more people. I’m glad you are enjoying it’s blessings. It was brought to the West by Swami Muktananda, whose name means, “The Bliss of Freedom.”

Establishing a strong connection with I AM is important. You can also use intention and ask daily for alignment with your I Am. In addition, you can open your chakra system, as we do in the Ascension Preparation meditations, and invite your I Am to bring more of it’s Divinity into your 4-body system. Each time you do that, you are able to hold more of the Divine Consciousness within you for longer periods of time and your vibrational frequencies continue to rise to allow more integration of your Divine Self.

As I read your comments, I observe that you are committed to your spiritual path.

4. Doug Hagens says:

I just listened to the meditation. It was like walking on a path on an absolutely clear day where I could see and know things as they truly are. All the left brain distractions melted away for me.

Thank you for guiding us to the love and light within us.

Doug

Hi,Doug,

I appreciate your feedback on the meditation. Sometimes I don’t know the power of what I am offering, so it is good for me to know that others are receiving benefits.

Blessings,

5. David Lee says:

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I’m experiencing issue with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting identical rss downside? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

Glad you liked the article. Wish I could help you re: the rss, but I don’t know anything about rss feeds. I hope someone else can help you.
      Blessings,

David,

If you email me with a more detailed description of what you are experiencing re: the rss feed, I might know what to suggest. Send any error messages, etc.

SEO Powered by Platinum SEO from Techblissonline